Monday, January 26, 2015

For better or worse...

Hooray! I finished the quilting on the DWR this morning. There were some glitches along the way, most notably on the 23rd when I thought I would be finishing my last three pantograph areas. I had taken a break for about an hour and a half. That doesn't really seem like enough time for the metals to have changed temperature and therefore tension, but it had. I, of course, didn't check the back...just merrily zipped along doing all three. Then I checked my stitches on the back. The tension wasn't even and the stitches looked really poor (front looked great). Well, no one to blame but my lazy self, so I spent some more quality time with my seam ripper. After that I just needed some away time. Visited with some family on Sunday, and today I zipped out the last bits of quilting with no issues,  and with absolutely no adjustment to the tension on the machine. Quilting gremlins, ya gotta love 'em!

So, here we go - more pics of my first DWR as it nears the end of the process:

This is the pre-trimmed top

The "pansy" pantograph. I bought this and several other flower pantos from Urban Elementz several years ago. 

Used one of my curved template tools to do the "leaf" shape on the little green squares.

And free motion leaves in the little melon shapes.

Tonight while I'm watching S.U. basketball I'll work on trimming the batting and backing to match the front scallop shape. Tomorrow - deciding which fabric I'll use to bind it, and getting that cut, ironed, and sewn to the front. I almost always stitch it to the back by hand. I just like that process and how it looks. Every now and then I do attach the binding strictly by machine...but not on this one!

In peace and piecing,


No comments:

Post a Comment